Catalan delicacies, neo-Gothic structure, sandy seashores, rugged mountains, and a colourful historical past. Did we point out Catalan delicacies? Barcelona, Spain has each purpose to be excessive on the record for journey bucket lists.
The town is a mix of influences, there may be the general Spanish tradition however tucked alongside proud Catalan tradition. There’s a lengthy historical past of independence claims, civil conflict and unrest. Combine this in with an enormous migrant and expat group and also you discover a mix of cultures, cuisines, languages and kinds.
Possibly you want to keep within the coronary heart of the outdated city and Gothic structure, or do you need to expertise the mix of metropolis and seaside in Barceloneta? It might be that you’re extra of an uptown kinda particular person and need to keep within the coronary heart of Eixample, surrounded by towering buildings, infinite procuring alternatives and Gaudi round what looks as if virtually each nook.
Both means, we have now the perfect of the barrios (neighborhoods) laid out so that you can resolve for your self!
This information was written by Sensible Wanderlust’s Head of E mail and Affiliate Advertising and marketing Natalie Collins, Barcelona resident, avid metropolis explorer and fellow Cava lover. Take it away, Natalie!
Psst: Searching for extra issues to do in Barcelona throughout your journey? We’ve obtained a publish about our favourite meals & wine tour in Barcelona, which we extremely advocate. We even have extra posts on journey in Europe.
READ THIS POST
The Final Self-Guided Strolling Tour of Barcelona, Spain
Psst: Obtain the strolling tour to seek out all of the hidden spots from a Barcelona resident!
Barcelona Journey Suggestions
Earlier than we dive into the barrio round-up, listed below are a number of ideas that can assist you put together to your journey to Barcelona.
- Be aware of the season: Barcelona splendidly experiences all 4 seasons, so don’t assume it’s heat year-round. Winter will get chilly and damp! The most effective months for vacationers are the Spring (late March to early June) and Autumn (late September to early November) months. Temperatures are snug, and town parks and tree-lined avenues look stunning. Additionally means fewer thick winter layers to pack!
- Put together a number of Spanish phrases: Barcelona is in Catalonia, a Spanish area with a historical past of independence claims from the Spanish state. True Barcelona locals are sometimes fiercely Catalan, with Catalan as their first language, Spanish second and English coming someplace after that if wanted. So you’ll do higher with both a primary grasp of Spanish and even some Catalan – don’t simply assume you will get away with English, though most vacationer locations do communicate English!
- Keep secure: Pickpockets are a giant drawback in Barcelona, and the locations I like to recommend avoiding are the worst locations you might be prone to encounter thieves. Don’t depart your cellphone on a desk, preserve your valuables in a cash belt, don’t journey carrying an expensive-looking watch and preserve your bag both tied to your chair or in your knee. At all times be vigilant!
- Eat all of the food and drinks all of the cava: Catalan and Spanish delicacies is scrumptious, with a number of contemporary hearty elements, good olive oils and little tapas plates. There’s additionally the Basque affect with some nice pintxo eating places, which is my favourite solution to eat! Cava can be made within the area so first rate cava prices little or no. Take a food and wine tour when you can to expertise it multi functional afternoon.
- Don’t name it Barca: Locals and long-term residents get actually sniffy about Barca/Barna. The right abbreviation is Barna; Barca is the soccer crew. I nonetheless really feel bizarre calling it Barna so simply follow Barcelona.
- Convey snug strolling sneakers: The town is extremely walkable however elements of it are hilly and you’ll cowl way more floor than you understand whereas gawking on the structure. So pack first rate sneakers you realize will preserve your toes completely satisfied and benefit from the stroll! To assist, we’ve obtained a Barcelona self-guided strolling tour – and we’ve additionally obtained options for the perfect strolling sneakers for journey. Listed below are our favourite journey sneakers for males and for girls.
- Totally different areas even have totally different hyperlinks to different elements of town: The metro system is great and pretty simple to navigate however when you desire to keep away from utilizing it or buses then it’s essential to base your self strolling distance to the stuff you need to see or at the very least on the identical metro line to keep away from a number of stops and modifications. An space could also be quarter-hour away in a taxi however takes 45 minutes by metro or bus, so bear in mind the place you need to be in relation to the place you need to keep.
- Keep away from short-term condominium leases: The housing market in Barcelona has been monopolized by vacationer leases, driving costs up a lot increased than is reasonably priced for residents and creating a number of scams and disparity. Accommodations have been badly affected by the pandemic so that they deserve the assist fairly than grasping property homeowners who would fairly depart an condominium empty as a substitute of renting it for an inexpensive value to an area. There are even new legal guidelines proscribing vacationer licenses and you might be now not allowed to hire a room short-term, so don’t contribute to the housing disaster, be a accountable vacationer, and keep in a lodge!
- In case your check-in and check-out occasions don’t sync up along with your have to roam the streets and also you want a spot to retailer your baggage, take a look at LuggageHero: This service helps you discover a secure place to maintain your baggage whilst you’re operating round so that you don’t stand out like a blatant vacationer! Use the code PRACTICALW for two hours of free baggage storage on us.
The place to Keep in Barcelona
Barcelona is damaged up into separate neighborhoods referred to as barrios, every with its personal distinct character, vibe and attraction. To the uninitiated, you could battle to know the place to go and what to do, however don’t fear, I obtained you lined!
As with many cities, there may be additionally an enormous financial variation. Strolling alongside Passeig de Gràcia you’ll see consumers swinging baggage from Gucci, Versace and Saint Laurant, after which step down La Rambla simply 10 minutes away and discover quirky low cost hippy outlets promoting handmade crafts, knock-off clothes and road meals. Barcelona is that type of place!
This provides to the allure of town, you might be all the time only a quick stroll or turning a nook away from discovering one thing utterly totally different and discovering a hidden gem. Which does make looking down meals and souvenirs actually enjoyable – every thing your coronary heart needs will be present in Barcelona!
READ THIS POST
The Excellent Barcelona Meals Tour: Tapas and Spanish Wine in Barcelona
Previous Metropolis: El Born & Gothic
The outdated a part of Barcelona is the very first thing that involves thoughts for many vacationers after they consider Barcelona, and it’s true it’s the most charming a part of town. Stuffed with outdated winding streets, stunning historic buildings, church buildings, cute eating places and hidden options round each nook.
That is the place you’ll discover Barcelona Cathedral, the Picasso Museum, Arc de Triomf, La Rambla, and an entire host of different well-known landmarks. It truly is the perfect place to remain in Barcelona for a primary go to.
Nonetheless, you do want to select fastidiously as some streets are somewhat shadier than others, some are noisy, and people cute winding streets aren’t as enjoyable to remain in when you don’t see daylight out of your lodge room window.
This barrio has nice transport hyperlinks to the remainder of town and is a brief stroll to the seaside, with elements of it opening out onto the marina at Port Vell so that you get views of the blue Mediterranean Sea. The world can be extra open to vacationers so that you usually tend to discover a place to seize a espresso and a pastry in case you are an early morning sort of particular person.
That is additionally the perfect place to base your self in case you are planning on taking our Self-Guided Strolling Tour of Barcelona. Many of the tour covers this space and can be the place you end so you’re a quick stroll again to your lodge afterward.
The place to Keep in El Born & Gothic
There are a mix of expensive resorts on this space in addition to some severely finances hostels. Under are a few of our favorites:
- Hostal Fernando is a kind of good types of hostels with clear, brilliant rooms. It additionally overlooks Església de Sant Jaume, which is a reasonably, outdated church. Historical past in your windowsill!
- For one thing somewhat fancier Barcelona Hotel Colonial is true within the coronary heart of Gothic in a stupendous colonial constructing, a brief stroll down the road takes you to Port Vell Marina and a visit in some other route takes you thru medieval streets.
- If you wish to keep as shut as attainable to the eccentric La Rambla then the May Ramblas Hotel is the one for you. It’s positioned only some doorways down a aspect road from La Rambla and can be the identical road you head all the way down to get to the Basílica de Santa Maria del Pi.
READ THIS POST
Seashore Trip Packing Checklist: What to Pack for the Seashore (by a Curvy Woman)
Barceloneta / Seashore
For these wanting extra for the seaside vibes then Barceloneta is for you. This barrio is a small space made up of completely aligned streets so it’s virtually not possible to get misplaced. To at least one aspect is Port Vell, to the south is the seaside, head north to El Born and east to Villa Olympica, the Olympic village from when Barcelona hosted the 1992 summer time Olympics.
Barceloneta correct is a good place to really feel you might be staying proper on the seaside with out lacking out on that Barcelona outdated metropolis allure. The buildings aren’t essentially as fairly as different elements of town however the seaside ambiance is nearly year-round.
You’ll discover chiringuitos (seaside bars) open from Spring to mid-Autumn and there are all the time folks skateboarding and curler skating down the cycle paths alongside the entrance, so be careful as you stroll!
The place to Keep in Barceloneta / Seashore
There are a number of bigger resorts on this space as you’d anticipate with it being beachside however the costs are wildly costly. Try the well-known landmark lodge The W, stunning and epic views however out of finances for many vacationers! You possibly can nonetheless catch the views at their rooftop cocktail lounge and nightclub, when you can snag a desk!
- Whereas technically not in Barceloneta it’s simply throughout the highway from the place the barrio begins, the Hotel Oasis has a tremendous rooftop pool and terrace and appears out in direction of the marina. From right here you’ll be able to entry El Born, Gothic and Barceloneta in only a quick stroll.
- Hotel 54 Barceloneta is true on the entrance overlooking the marina and steps away from the seaside, this is able to be my decide if going for the seaside lodge choice. The rooftop bar can be like somewhat backyard paradise, excellent for resting after a protracted day of exploring.
- For a extra finances room, the Sea Hostel is a good decide for dorm room-style lodging, it’s also subsequent door to a restaurant, Buenas Migas, that does fairly superb pastries. Get up early, seize a espresso and pastry for a dawn stroll alongside the seaside.
Welcome to Eixample, the world that you simply’ll see most in aerial photographs of Barcelona, these excellent crimson sq. blocks and streets aligned to OCD ranges. This a part of town is the place the well-known avenues of Diagonal and Passeig de Gracia run by, it’s the place the designer outlets are and can be the bigger of the districts in Barcelona.
The roads are additionally very driveable, except for the irritating crimson gentle cease/begin system which does make visitors heavier right here. However most resorts have first rate sound insulation so you’ll be able to keep away from visitors noise so long as you retain your home windows closed.
This space is charming for its typical Barcelona fashion with lengthy avenues, Guadi’s spectacular buildings, and exquisite balconies. You’ll discover Casa Batlo and Casa Mila, Plaza Catalunya to the south, Casa de les Punxes and lots of different architectural beauties. Strolling round this space you’ll simply preserve stumbling into one other stunning constructing after one other, and when you get onto a rooftop someplace you’ll see much more.
The procuring can be unbelievable right here with every thing from high-end designer shops, to excessive road procuring, to unbiased boutiques. If you wish to store with out having to stroll far to drop your baggage again on the lodge, that is the place to do it.
This space can be very well related with public transport, the buses run recurrently and there are a number of metro stations in addition to prepare stations at each Passeig de Gràcia and at Plaza Catalunya.
READ THIS POST
The Final Packing Checklist: 43 Should-Have Journey Gadgets (by a Full-Time Journey Blogger
The place to Keep in Eixample
As you’d anticipate there isn’t a scarcity of resorts in Eixample, from simpler budgets to luxurious high-end resorts. Listed below are some fo the perfect ones:
- Once I first arrived in Barcelona I booked into Hostalin Barcelona Gran Via and it’s the place I like to recommend associates to remain for an amazing worth lodge. The workers was a dream throughout my keep, the rooms are brilliant and comfy and it’s canine pleasant!
- For bougie fanciness proper on Passeig de Gràcia with the views to match the Hotel Royal Passeig de Gràcia is a good selection, and although the value is somewhat increased it’s not eye-watering. You might go all out for a collection with a personal terrace or simply benefit from the rooftop terrace which is equally pretty.
- If you wish to exit your lodge to the odor of contemporary bread and pastries then it’s essential to e-book Praktik Bakery, with rooms as contemporary because the bread and a brief stroll to Diagonal. Simply ensure to not hang around and go discover (hehehe)!
The place else to remain in Barcelona apart from near the enduring Basílica de la Sagrada Família! If that is your foremost purpose for visiting Barcelona, and no one will decide you whether it is then that is the place to remain. You possibly can meander across the cafes within the space, sit in parks surrounding the basílica and customarily gaze on the unbelievable work of Antoni Gaudí.
Admittedly the restaurant selections aren’t the finest, and apart from the Sagrada itself, the structure isn’t the prettiest in Barcelona, however it’s tremendous near Eixample and simple to get to different elements of town.
The place to Keep in Sagrada Família
After all, in case you are staying on this space you then completely want a lodge with views of the basílica, which aren’t the most cost effective rooms within the metropolis however there are some well-priced resorts value checking into.
- Sensation Sagrada Família has serviced residences with a stupendous shared roof terrace overlooking the enduring church. Right here you will get the bonus of a personal condominium whereas nonetheless having the chance to get pleasure from a shared house with fellow vacationers.
- For a lodge choice, the Sercotel Rosellón has brilliant rooms, an amazing breakfast and a roof terrace with solar loungers pointing at Sagrada, an iconic solution to spend a day when you ask me!
Searching for a hidden boho artist vibe? Then Gràcia is your spot. Till the nineteenth century, this was an unbiased city and residents are sometimes long-term locals and happy with their neighborhood.
Now the world is fashionable and filled with unbiased outlets, boutiques, and cafes. Plaça de Sol is a central level the place folks hang around to socialize, drink and indulge within the bakeries and gelato outlets close by.
This space is comparatively near Passeig de Gràcia however seems like a special world to the designer shops and busy avenue. The streets are principally pedestrianized and there’s a extra eclectic combine of individuals strolling the streets.
The world can be identified for its festivals, historically every neighborhood has its personal mini-festivals however the one in Gràcia is extensively often known as the perfect. Streets are lined with decorations and stalls, with some streets working in competitors for the perfect decor. Though bear in mind when you go to in the summertime throughout these festivals you shouldn’t anticipate any peace and quiet, the events can go on all night time!
READ THIS POST
Europe Journey Information
The place to Keep in Gràcia
This isn’t a primary selection amongst vacationers so you’ll really feel such as you’ve hit somewhat hidden gem, and resorts are typically somewhat cheaper too.
- Hotel Ronda Lesseps is a cute lodge with a stupendous inside courtyard backyard hooked up to the lodge bar. It’s also only a 15-minute stroll to a different of Gaudí’s iconic designs, Parc Güell. Benefit from the peace hidden away from the bustle of town on this little oasis.
- A extra upmarket choice with a rooftop pool is the Catalonia Park Güell lodge, costs aren’t vastly totally different however it’s barely extra exterior the central a part of Gràcia. Rooftop swimming pools in resorts are an actual deal with however they do get busy so keep in mind to order a solar lounger to your afternoon poolside.
Canine-Pleasant Accommodations in Barcelona
In case you are like the remainder of Crew Sensible Wanderlust and are a proud canine proprietor you can be happy to listen to that Barcelona is a good place to journey along with your furry finest pal.
Most eating places are accommodating, a number of outlets have water bowls exterior for passing canine and it isn’t unusual to see canine becoming a member of procuring journeys. My canine loves coming procuring, it normally means getting a number of love from retailer attendants, treats and new locations to smell.
Actually most locations you’ll be able to deliver your canine with you, much more so if it’s a smaller canine. Nonetheless, simply bear in mind that in the summertime months (from Could to October) canine aren’t allowed on the principle seashores so you’ll have to discover the dog beach simply exterior the principle metropolis middle.
Once I arrived in Barcelona with my pup I booked right into a dog-friendly lodge and I’ve a number of associates who’ve additionally performed the identical. A whole lot of resorts are used to canine companions and accommodate them fairly simply. So when you journey along with your little pal these are the perfect locations to remain.
- Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella: This lodge is true reverse Ciutadella Park, which is by far probably the greatest parks for canine within the metropolis. Mornings and evenings are a hub for canine homeowners with pups taking part in on the grass collectively, and there’s a kiosk within the park for human refreshments. The lodge can be a brief stroll to the seaside and throughout from El Born, completely positioned for exploring town. The lodge itself is gorgeous, it’s designed to merge nature with native structure and elegance, and the bar space is spacious and overlooks the park. There’s additionally a stunning out of doors space to get pleasure from an aperitif.
- Hotel Balmes: An actual gem of a lodge, they really have a particular package deal for canine, Keep & Canine. This treats your pup as a particular visitor with its personal mattress, meals and water bowls, treats and snacks and toys, and housekeeping can be delicate to their particular guests. There’s additionally an African artwork assortment all through the lodge, a backyard and a pool.
- Hostalin Barcelona Gran Via: This lodge has 2 areas not too removed from one another, as talked about once I arrived in Barcelona I stayed on the Gran Through lodge and it was really unbelievable. The rooms are clear and spacious, and the workers are superb and really accommodating. The identical vibe can be at their different lodge Diputación, each are in Eixample and very well positioned for accessing the remainder of town.
READ THIS POST
Methods to Be a Extra Accountable Vacationer: a Traveler's Information to Moral Tourism
The place To not Keep in Barcelona
Barcelona as an entire is fairly secure and there are few areas to keep away from, these are normally simply sure streets fairly than entire areas and it’s extra of simply being conscious fairly than anticipating to be robbed. You hear horror tales and sure they do occur however in case you are an skilled traveler and preserve your wits about you, you’ll be high quality. It helps to bear in mind that Barcelona has a number of poverty and the common wage completely doesn’t match the price of dwelling and housing right here.
There’s additionally a big impoverished migrant inhabitants and homeless folks in sure areas, if this offends you then higher to keep away from town solely as nobody space is healthier than others.
Apart from that, there are some areas of town which can be simply not value staying in, and I’ll clarify the place and why.
Typically while you hear tales of pickpockets, you might be listening to tales of Raval, which is positioned to the west aspect of La Rambla.
The world is charming in its personal means, however I wouldn’t advocate it for vacationers. There are some nice eating places tucked away and a few actually enjoyable bars however strolling dwelling in the dead of night just isn’t advisable.
- The place to Keep as a substitute: In case you are nonetheless in search of the quirky outdated city fashion that elements of Raval have then keep in Gothic as a substitute. You’ll nonetheless have the identical tourist-friendly hustle and bustle and loads of outdated buildings to marvel at however much less of the after-dark considerations. May Ramblas Hotel is properly positioned for La Rambla with out the night security challenges.
Sant Gervasi-Galvany is up within the hills of town and may be very residential. Housing will be fairly costly right here and the boutiques and cafes cater to a special clientele than what most vacationers could be fascinated by.
It’s near the hills of Tibidabo, Barcelona’s highest peak, and the views throughout town will be pretty however transport hyperlinks aren’t nice so it will likely be a protracted stroll or a number of metro and bus stops to get to the place you need to be.
- The place to Keep as a substitute: Shut by is Eixample, this has the identical metropolis residential vibe however with extra allure and simpler entry to the remainder of town. Additionally take into account Gràcia for a similar causes. Praktik Bakery provides you that very same native vibe however in a greater location.
In case you hunt for lodging that’s quick access to the airport then that is the primary neighborhood to have a look at, it’s also near the enduring Montjuïc which is great to discover. You may also go see the fountain present at Plaza Espanya.
Nonetheless, to get anyplace you will have to leap on the metro or prepare, it’s properly related however if you wish to stroll to the remainder of town you’ll have fairly a protracted stroll. It’s a quieter space to remain in however the fixed want to make use of the metro can gradual you down.
Additionally as it’s a foremost transport connection level it does are typically actually busy within the stations, which might get overwhelming in case you are determining how one can get to the place you need to be.
- The place to Keep as a substitute: For straightforward entry to the airport look near Plaza Catalunya. The metro cease is central so will get you the place it’s essential to be in addition to the Sants cease does. It’s also a foremost level for the airport shuttle buses to begin from, which is by far the best solution to get to the airport fairly cheaply. Praktik Bakery once more is very well positioned for ease to journey.
READ THIS POST
The Final Self-Guided Strolling Tour of Barcelona, Spain
The place to Keep in Barcelona: Abstract
That’s various data! So to wrap it up right into a bite-size piece, right here we have now an at a look abstract:
- The Greatest Areas to Keep in Barcelona: Go for the Previous Metropolis or Eixample for traditional Barcelona vibes.
- The Greatest Accommodations in Barcelona: Greatest choices are Barcelona Hotel Colonial, Hostelin Barcelona Gran Via and Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella, any of these will make your keep iconic.
- The Greatest Canine-Pleasant Accommodations in Barcelona: Once more one other vote for Hostelin Barcelona Gran Through and Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella. Can’t beat these for canine lovers!
So why aren’t we recommending any AirBnBs? Briefly, AirBnB and quick time period condominium leases have screwed the housing market in Barcelona, in addition to many different cities world wide. Discovering an precise dwelling within the metropolis is an actual drawback and the costs have been pushed so excessive by vacationer leases that the common particular person can not afford them. Legal guidelines have now restricted vacationer licenses however this hasn’t performed a lot to cease the issue that was already created. So that you don’t contribute to the very actual housing disaster within the metropolis, we advocate you to be a accountable traveler and select to remain in resorts as a substitute, which have been in fact closely affected by the pandemic and deserve all of the vacationer love once more.
That ought to provide the finest concepts of the place to remain so you’ll be able to plan the remainder of your journey! If you are within the starting stage don’t overlook to enroll in our Self-Guided Strolling Tour of Barcelona to get a downloadable information to discover town!
Which space would you want to remain in? Is there a sure a part of Barcelona you might be most enthusiastic about seeing? Tell us within the feedback beneath
Psst: Planning extra journeys to European cities? Now we have explored a few!
Psst: Save this publish for in a while Pinterest!